Company Name: Newmont Mining Corporation
Job Type: Full Time
Valid Until: 11th December 2021
Newmont Mining Corporation is a leading global gold producer with key assets in Nevada, Peru, Australia, Ghana and Suriname.
Newmont’s Africa Operations holds two gold mining operations in Ghana: the Ahafo Mine located in the Brong-Ahafo region and the Akyem Mine located in the Eastern region. There is also near mine exploration and development focus in Ghana to annually replace gold reserves. Newmont Africa also has early-stage exploration programs in the African countries of Ethiopia and Morocco.
Our Africa operations employ approximately 5,900 employees and contractors, with the majority working at the Ahafo Mine. We offer an unparalleled blend of opportunity and career satisfaction with all the benefits you would expect from a global company. This, combined with our growth opportunities, makes Newmont a great company to work.
Our Akyem and Ahafo mines have made significant sustainable community development investments in our host communities. These include establishing Development Funds at our Akyem and Ahafo operational areas with each mine contributing US$1 per ounce of gold sold and 1% of net pre-tax annual profit into its community development fund.
The only gold company listed in the S&P 500 index, Newmont in 2007 became the first gold company selected to be part of the Dow Jones Sustainability World Index. Newmont’s industry leading performance is reflected through our Africa operations’ high standards in environmental management, health and safety for our workforce and creating value and opportunity for our employees, host communities and Newmont’s shareholders.Additional Responsibilities:About This Role
- To support the delivery of long term mine planning work packages for Newmont’s underground and / or open pit operations. This includes long term planning aspects of business planning, support of site based studies, projects, Full Potential and Strategic Resource Development (SRD) activities.
Health, Safety and Environment
- Deliver own prescribed outcomes and/or provide support services by applying Newmont’s Health, Safety and Environment systems, policies and protocols.
- Accept personal responsibility for the health and safety of all mine engineers under or assigned to his/her supervision.
- Meet Long Term Planning (LTP) objectives and conform to Newmont mining standards, geotechnical and operational physical standards to promote safe mining operations within legislative guidelines.
- Provide visible and felt leadership in support of health, safety, security and sustainability and external relations (S&ER) programs.
- Conduct periodic safety meetings and inspections.
Long-Term Planning Execution
- Conduct economic evaluations on mid to long term development and stopping layouts and / or open pit pushbacks.
- Execute LTP standard procedures, guidelines, standards, best practices and planning improvement initiatives at the site, including consideration of safety in design.
- Support and collaborate with the site mine planning teams in the generation of the 0 to 2 years portion of the business plan to ensure a single integrated life of asset business plan for the site as part of bridge planning.
- Liaise with geology and geotechnical engineers to determine and apply design criteria for the mine being designed.
- Liaise with the SME function for specific technical expertise not available at site and for peer review of work packages delivered.
- Support site projects and studies work and support strategic components of full potential and Strategic Resource Development (SRD) work as required.
- Draw on experiences in open pit and/or underground mining to ensure the long term deliverables are considering and applying diversified engineering techniques.
- Review the mine planning aspects of the sites’ Business Planning inputs, processes and outcomes.
- Verify budgets and costs for regional business planning.
- Support the regional implementation of Xeras cost modelling, optimization and other corporate initiatives.
- Contribute to the regional value assurance process.
- Compile sections of mining reports for study documentation and annual reserves and resources reporting.
- Generate of reliable, timely and well communicated long term planning work packages.
- Develop Life of Mine (LOM) scenario plan to safely, efficiently and cost effectively determine the future mining feasibilities of the Africa Region by assisting:
- LOM Scheduling (mining sequencing).
- LOM Metal Process Blending.
- LOM Cost Modeling with Xeras.
- Provide technical expertise to all Mine Planning teams in the region to enable full optimization of mining operations.
- Determine the final numbers of the LOM Mine plan.
- Produce the high level LOM Cost model.
- Determine the final outputs of the LOM cost model.
- Long term supporting facilities (leach pads, waste dumps, Underground facilities etc.) design and scheduling.
- Develop the stockpile strategy plan.
- Communicate to the mine site and wider region the developed LOM scenario plan mining assumptions and LOM mining plan and costs.
- Liaise with the site planning team to ensure plans are aligned to overall site strategies.
- Initiate pit optimization and ensure alignment with current site parameters.
- Utilize the MineSight pit expansion tool to design or redesign/modify pits, dumps and stockpiles.
- Use Minemax scheduler for strategic mine planning.
- Use Xeras cost modeler for scenario planning cost modeling.
- Engage with relevant subject matter experts at Global Headquarters to leverage best practices into Long Term Planning approach.
- Collaborate with Site and Regional Finance and Business Planning teams and S&ER leadership to adequately fulfill scenario planning and projects objectives.
- Facilitate external stakeholder requests to enable smooth and efficient running of mine planning processes to address and resolve issues promptly.
Formal Qualification (including Professional Registrations):
- Bachelors’ degree in Mining Engineering.
- Experience in strategic and long term mine planning, production support, mine operations and design in large and diversified mine sites with a preference for experience in conventional hard rock gold open pit.
- Experience in operations with complex multi mine, multi process situations preferable and knowledge of mine methods, mine design, production scheduling (strategic and tactical), equipment selection, reserve estimation and economic evaluations.
- High level of competence in the use of mine planning software, including optimization techniques and experience with mine design and scheduling packages from Deswik, Geovia Whittle, MineSight, or Maptek.
- Knowledge of unit costing and financial modelling methods for resource and reserve analysis and the use and manipulation of project financial models.
- Experience with Xeras cost estimating tool is preferred.
- Knowledge of exploration methods, mineral inventory estimates and resource estimation.
- 3D visualization skills.
- A minimum of 6 – 8 years’ experience in surface mining field within a large-scale open pit mining environment.
- Extensive mine planning experience in a range of mining applications.
- Extensive site-mine planning experience in multi-mine and multi-process situations.
- High level of experience in project evaluation.
- Experience in different ore deposits for gold and multi-element base metals.
- Excellent communication and influencing skills (oral, written, listening).
- Strong technical acumen in survey equipment, systems and software.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Strong computer literacy skills – MS Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook).
- Sound 3D visualization skills.
- Strong negotiation skills.
- Strong report writing skills.
- Behavioural Attributes:
- Goal oriented.
- Quality oriented.
- Results driven.
- Safety conscious.
- Team player.
- Technically inclined.
- Detail focused.
Don't Keep Share!